Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Newer, Fresher Approach to Decorating

The Wall Street Journal this week carried an article about B&B decorating, contemporary design and potpourri-free lodging. WSJ. The innkeepers here are already onto the idea that Victorian is NOT hip, cool or sweet--just overly busy.

I'm a cat, so Those Innkeepers won't let me into Sunrise Romance Room #1 to see it, but this week they changed out the former Mediterranean - style headboard on the king bed for a big hunk of contemporary walnut. (I saw it when they unpacked it in the party room.)
The photo shows what I'm talking about. Gone is the wildly patterned spread (along with the mattlesse one). The new duvet cover has exotic birds --yum! Last year they added a deep green rug without fussy pattern (I saw it when I sneaked in there one time last spring while they were painting the walls the palest of khaki pink and the ceiling very pale blue.)

Now there is talk that that they will soon paint out the faux finished bath. They are saying "Lovely but dated; has to go." I hear it will be beige with moss wainscoting, white trim and another pale blue ceiling. They might even shop for a shower curtain with birds on it. (Double yum!)

Those Innkeepers seem pretty proud of themselves, redoing the room even before the Wall Street Journal suggested simpler rooms are more restful and more desirable. Promise to check it out and report back. You'll find me on the patio during the day as long as the warmer fall days hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment